Do you have a background in web development, but are you also interested in social projects and education? Come work for Migracode Barcelona, the first code academy for refugees and migrants in Barcelona. Make a difference for our students by using both your technical and social skills as Head of Technical Education.
Notes: this position is for 20 hours per week. A technical background is a must.
Application deadline: Monday March 1st
Open Cultural Center is a non-profit organisation that carries out various projects with migrants and refugees in Spain and Greece. One of our largest projects in Barcelona is MigraCode, a code academy/bootcamp where students with a migration background and limited access to the labour market can participate in free tech education, powered by a huge volunteer community. We offer a full 8-month fullstack web development course with a main goal to find job opportunities for our graduates.
What will you do?
- Co-coordinate the education program of full stack web development in Barcelona (approximately 4 courses of eight months per year)
- Co-manage a volunteering team of over 100 tech volunteers
- Maintain and update our course curriculum based on trends in the tech industry in strong cooperation with the tech volunteers
- Manage the students including coaching, attendance registration, checking homework adherence, checking course progress and keeping them motivated
- Be the educational reference person for the students and redirect them to external parties if necessary;
- Be responsible for organising and managing the class activities
What do we offer?
- Salary of €11.000 per year (gross salary, based on 20h a week)
- An opportunity to be in the heart of a social, migrant-tech community with many connections in the tech industry
- Many possibilities to develop your own social and tech skills, by interacting with our voluntary instructors who are all professional developers, and by working closely with our diverse group of students
- A flexible schedule and the opportunity to work remotely when needed (but meet at least twice a week with our main team in Barcelona)
- An opportunity to work in an intercultural team consisting of employees, volunteers and external partners
- The possibility to join transnational meetings with partner NGOs throughout Europe
- Possibility of a full time contract after 6 months to 1 year
What are the job requirements?
- Have great skills in Excel/Google Sheets and preferably also in other Project Management tools such as Trello and Slack
- Experience in education and/or the social sector is preferable
- Have the capability to combine your tech skills with your social skills in order to explain technical subjects to people with diverse social and cultural backgrounds
- Have an advanced level of English and Spanish, and preferably Catalan
- To be flexible and open-minded: we work in a fast-changing environment and you have to be capable to adjust to sudden changes and new developments
How to apply?
Are you interested? Send your CV + Motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not consider candidates without the required technical background, nor do we consider applications without a CV and motivation letter.